Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:13 PM

http://timesenterpri...from-Bainbridge

Pilcher resigns from Bainbridge

Clint ThompsonCNHI

THOMASVILLE — In 2008, Ed Pilcher shocked the Thomas County Central community when he retired as the school’s football coach.

Five years later, the five-time state champion has said good-bye to the Bainbridge faithful.

Pilcher resigned on Thursday as the Bearcats football coach after compiling a 30-23 record. The Bearcats finished 7-4 this past season which ended with a 21-14 loss to Union Grove in the first round of the Class AAAAA playoffs.

“I just thought it would be the best thing for me to do right now,” Pilcher said. “It was just something that’s been on my heart for a while. I prayed about it and just said I probably just need to go ahead and do it. I think it was best for Bainbridge and me.

“I would still like to coach but I understand that opportunity may not be available. If it’s (not), at least I could retire. I still have a passion for coaching. We’ll just wait and see what happens.”

Pilcher’s Bearcats went 6-4 in 2008, followed by a 6-5 mark in 2009, 3-7 in 2010 and 8-3 in 2011.

“I went over there with the intention of being there for five years and seeing if we could make that thing work. It was just tougher than I anticipated trying to make it happen,” Pilcher said. “A lot of it had to do with the economy, we’re losing coaches. When you lose five coaches that you started out with because of the economics, that puts a strain on you a little bit. It was tough. It was nothing we couldn’t handle, it just made it a little bit more difficult.

“That had nothing to do with it really. I just thought it was time to let somebody else try it.”

For full details, see Saturday's edition of the Times-Enterprise.

#52 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

http://www.northwest...1a4bcf6878.html

Todd Wheeler named head coach of Coosa football program

By Brittany Hannah

Staff Writer

BHannah@RN-T.com

After Chad Perry stepped down as the Coosa Eagles’ football coach last month, the school didn’t have to look far to find a replacement.

On Friday, the school introduced longtime Floyd County football coach Todd Wheeler as Perry’s replacement. Wheeler served as an assistant under Perry.

“It’s just exciting,” Wheeler said Friday to prospective members of this year’s football team. “I think Coosa is a diamond in the rough. There’s some good kids here and some good athletes here, and it’s just a chance to take a program that can go places and try to work at building that program and seeing what we can do with it.” 

Wheeler takes over the helm of a Coosa team that went to the playoffs last fall after finishing the regular season with four wins in their last five games.

Wheeler has coached at a number of schools in Floyd County.

Between stints as an assistant coach with the Pepperell Dragons, he served as Armuchee’s head coach for one season, and has also been an assistant coach with Model and Rome High.

In his college career with the Georgia Bulldogs, Wheeler was a consensus All-SEC player in 1988, and he was the captain of Vince Dooley’s last team.

Perry, who took the Eagles to the playoffs twice in the past five seasons, has maintained his position as athletic director.

#53 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:29 PM

http://www.jacksonpr...football-coach/

Parris resigns as football coach

Mike Parris says he has resigned as Jackson High School’s head football coach, effective immediately, citing personal reasons.

#Parris said he informed Butts County Schools Superintendent Robert “Buddy” Costley of his decision Tuesday morning.

#Parris said he remains under contract with Butts County Schools as a physical education teacher at Jackson High School through the rest of the school year, but he doesn’t plan to return to class. Parris told the Jackson Progress-Argus that he plans to use accrued time off through the remainder of the school year.

#“I absolutely loved working and coaching here for 17 years,” Parris said Tuesday. “We did a lot for the football program and for the community here in Jackson. It’s been a great ride.”

#Parris was named head football coach before the start of the 1996 season. He has also served as the school’s athletic director but stepped down from that post in June 2012.

#Parris said he is unsure who will be named as the next head football coach at Jackson High School.

#— Joe Patrick

#54 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:44 PM

http://www.footballs...gh-school-scoop

Football Scoop reports that Booker T. Washington HS (GA) assistant Dallas Avery is the new head coach at South Atlanta.

Football Scoop reports Jeff Ratliff is the new head coach at Gatewood School.

#55 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

http://www.macon.com...d-football.html

Farriba hired as Stratford football head coach

Mark Farriba was hired Thursday by Stratford to return as the school's football head coach.

Farriba has been at Prince Avenue Christian near Athens for the past six years.

He was the head coach at Stratford from 2003-06 and led the Eagles to the GISA Class AAA championship in 2004. He is also a Stratford graduate.

Farriba, who also was the head coach at FPD from 1985-96, has a 147-97-3 record in 22 seasons as a head coach

#56 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

http://www.forest-bl...1a4bcf887a.html

SHS names new head football coach

Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2013 12:57 pm

by TROUP BRINSON | 0 comments

Ken Eldridge has been named the new head football coach at Swainsboro High School. Eldridge’s head coaching experience consists of four seasons as head coach of the 5A Coffee High School Trojans in Douglas from 2008-2011. Eldridge resigned in 2011 after compiling a 21-24 record. His team reached the state quarter finals in 2008, but struggled to find that same success in the following three seasons. 

Eldridge was an assistant coach at Valdosta High School this past season. He was replaced at Coffee High by Robbie Pruitt of Fitzgerald Purple Hurricane fame. Pruitt was unable to duplicate his success at Coffee, as they failed to make the playoffs with a 5-5 season.

Eldridge will be replacing David Johnson, who spent three seasons at the helm for the Tigers, accumulating a 16-15 win/loss record. Johnson followed up a 10-win season by Scott Roberts in 2009 with a 10-win season of his own in 2010, but consecutive three win seasons since muddied the waters and a change was made.

Swainsboro has been a fairly stable place for its head football coaches, despite perceptions that seem to circulate to the contrary. Shane Williamson spent six seasons (42-28-2) as Swainsboro’s head football coach, concluding in 2007. Before Williamson, Rayvan Teague enjoyed eight seasons (72-21) as one of the program’s most successful coaches, winning a state championship in 2000. Teague’s predecessor, Bill Schofill (60-28), led the Tigers the previous 8 seasons.

On a side note, Bill Schofill also coached the Tigers from 1970-74 (39-17). His combined 99 wins rank Schofill at the top all-time in the “wins” category at Swainsboro High.

#57 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:42 PM

http://blogs.ajc.com...h_school_sports

Mays makes change at football coach

11:11 am February 1, 2013, by Todd Holcomb

Dominic Callaway is out as head football coach at Mays of Atlanta despite a 40-19 record over five-plus seasons. His 2012 team went 5-5, the first time the school did not have a winning season since 2005, while playing in Region 6-AAAAA, generally regarded as the toughest in  its classification.

‘’It did surprise me, and I’m speechless a little bit, but they gave me a shot and they wanted to go in a different direction, so what can you say,’’ Callaway said. “I’m still taking it all in, and I’ll try to rebound somewhere else.’’

Principal Dr. Tyrone Smith was not immediately available for comment.

Callaway came to Mays in 2005 under head coach Rodney Hackney and became interim head coach during the 2007 season after Jesse Solomon was suspended amid a certification issue. Solomon later resigned.

Mays, 4-2 at the time, went on to finish 9-3 under Callaway.  Mays also made the playoffs in 2009, 2010 and 2011 under Callaway but lost in the first round.

Only Grady among the nine city schools has more football victories than Mays during Callaway’s tenure.

#58 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:59 AM

Football Scoop reports that defensive coordinator Hildrick Garrison has been promoted to head coach and athletic director at Bacon County.

#59 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:04 AM

https://www.facebook...choolBlueDevils

Manchester High School announced that Tanner Glisson has been promoted to head coach.

#60 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:53 PM

http://www.gwinnettd...l-coach/?sports

Duluth's Jarvis steps down as head football coach

By Will Hammock (1735) 
will.hammock@gwinnettdailypost.com

Citing family reasons, Duluth head football coach Corey Jarvis tendered his resignation from the position on Monday.

#Jarvis coached the the Wildcats for three seasons and made them more competitive than they had been in years. Duluth went 4-6 in each of his three seasons, but it was an improvement for a program that hadn't won more than two games in a season since going 5-5 in 2003 and hasn't had a winning season since 1995.

#While he worked at Duluth, Jarvis still lived in Lithonia and the time commitment was tough for him and his family. He and his wife Shanegia have 9-, 8- and 3-year-old daughters.

#"It was a family decision," Jarvis said. "It's what's best for my family right now. ... We're on two different schedules right now. At least when I was in DeKalb we were on the same schedule. I don't get to see (my daughters) at all in the mornings. ... I hate to leave now because I feel like this was a perfect spot for me, but it's tough for us as a family."

#Jarvis said he is considering a few other football coaching jobs, but hasn't accepted one at this point. His previous head coaching experience was at M.L. King, where he worked for five seasons prior to taking the Duluth position. He had a 49-11 record at M.L. King and took all five teams to the playoffs.

#He couldn't match that success in ultra-competitive Gwinnett, but he drew praise from opposing coaches for the improvements he made in the Duluth program.

#Jarvis informed his players of his resignation on Tuesday afternoon. It was a tough conversation, the coach said, but he feels good about the program's future.

#"The kids we have are great kids," Jarvis said. "They're going to be successful. I hope they stay together and keep working hard. I expect them to have a winning year this year. The upcoming seniors have been in the program with us three years, they're going into their fourth year, and they're ready."

#Gwinnett now has two head football coaching vacancies — Duluth and Dacula.

#61 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:07 PM

Chattahoochee football coach Crowder resigns for new job

9:41 am February 5, 2013, by Todd Holcomb

Terry Crowder, who led Chattahoochee’s football team to a state championship in 2010, told his players Tuesday morning that he is leaving the program after eight seasons.

Crowder told AJC.com that he has another job in metro Atlanta but can’t comment until it is approved at a school board meeting Thursday. Metro job openings that have been reported are at Creekside, Creekview, Dacula, Duluth, M.L. King, Mays, North Forsyth, North Springs, South Cobb and Westlake.

“Chattahoochee has been so good to me, and we were able to accomplish some good things; it’s just a special, special place,’’ Crowder said. “It was a decision based on what’s best for my family. I’m going to miss everybody here. It’s just awful right now.’’

Crowder came to Chattahoochee in 2004 from Camden County, where he was an assistant on Camden’s 2003 Class AAAAA championship team. Crowder was 60-40 in nine seasons at Chattahoochee. The Cougars were 7-4 last season playing in Region 6-AAAAAA.

Chattahoochee’s 2010 team was 15-0 and led by all-classification state player of the year  quarterback  Tim Byerly.

#62 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:49 PM

http://neighbornewsp...ah-opportunity?

Forester thrilled with Pisgah opportunity
by Chase Wallace 
cwallace@neighbornewspapers.com

After 20 years as an assistant coach and defensive coordinator, Mike Forester is stepping to the head of a football program for the first time.

Following the resignation of previous Mount Pisgah football coach Doug Dixon, Forester was promoted to the head position last week.

“I’m really excited to have this opportunity,” said Forester, who served as the Patriots’ defensive coordinator last season. “Having enjoyed my first year here as an assistant I had the opportunity to see how special this place is, see how special the kids are here and see the potential that this program has.”

Dixon, who resigned from his post earlier this month, spent six years as the Patriots’ head coach, going 29-32 overall and leading Pisgah through their infancy as a GHSA football program. A year ago his team went 6-5 overall and qualified for the GHSA state playoffs for the first time in school history.

Forester said he hopes to build on the foundation Dixon laid at Pisgah and continue growing the program towards being a state championship contender.

“I am grateful for the contributions that Doug made here because we truly are in great shape. The things are in place for us to really move to the next level of football and reach this program’s full potential.

“That full potential is what motivates me, because I know this is a place with the full commitment to being a total school with an emphasis on being the best in academics and athletics.”

Forester, a three-year letter winner as a defensive end at Ole Miss, went on to compare Pisgah to Briarwood Christian in Alabama, a private school in Birmingham that he spent 19 years at as a defensive coordinator under legendary head coach Fred Yancey.

He said the football programs had striking similarities in their youth and he hopes Pisgah could work its way towards being the powerhouse that Briarwood has become over the last two decades — winning 13 region championships, three state championships (1998, 1999, 2003) and two state runner-up finishes (2007, 2010) during his tenure as defensive coordinator.

“We grew [Briarwood] from a small private-school to a state power and we hope what we saw happen there can happen here.

“We’re going to keep building [Pisgah] into that total program. Work on improving out speed, condition and weight training right away, then build off the excitement of last season’s success.”

Read more: NeighborNewspapers.com - Forester thrilled with Pisgah opportunity

#63 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:41 PM

http://www.msgr.com/...1a4bcf887a.html

Reaves to leave PCHS

Marla Prettympretty@gmail.com |0 comments

After five years and a successful rebuilding of Putnam County High School’s ailing football program, the team’s head coach has announced to his players he is leaving.

“Ben Reaves has accepted another coaching position,” PCHS Athletic Director Major Richard Howard said Saturday in text messages. “He told his team on Friday.”

Howard said a meeting is scheduled this week to discuss an official search for a replacement after a formal discussion between administrators.

“Lollis has not received a written confirmation from Reaves as of Friday, only a verbal notification,” Howard said.

“We must wait to hear from the other school, meaning that the losing and gaining principals have not talked yet. When that happens we will do a very wide search for a new coach.”

“It was as if someone had died,” was how one of Putnam’s assistant coaches described the reaction following the notification.

Players’ reactions seemed mixed between anger, frustration and sadness.

“Me, personally, I felt a little sad. He’s been like a father to me,” senior Damoio’n Wright said. “He’s been my coach for four years and I didn’t want to see him leave. But I’m behind him every bit of the way.”

Reaves will transform from a War Eagle to a Warrior, taking the head coach position at Walnut Grove High School in Logansville, a part of the Walton County school system.

Students who were at the Loganville school for a middle school basketball tournament this past weekend said coaches at Walnut Grove were talking about the impending arrival of Reaves.

Reaves joined PCHS in 2007 when War Eagle football was flailing after two losing seasons.

Reaves’ first two years produced only four wins as he transformed the program to his style of football, which included “more than just Xs and Os in a play book.”

“It’s a way to look at and approach life,” Reaves has always said.

Reaves had to deal with personality issues inside the program with players and assistant coaches. Over time, those players graduated and issues worked themselves out, and new players coming into the team “bought in” to Reaves’ approach to the game.

In 2009, the War Eagles went from 2-8 to 8-3, surprising nearly everyone in 4AA region with huge victories and coming in as runners-up in the region.

For the first time in five years, Putnam saw post-season action.

In 2010, the War Eagles finished 9-3 and went three rounds in the state play-offs after sharing the region title.

In 2011, with Reaves’ first group of players to become seniors under him, Putnam captured the region title. The team went 8-3 once more, hosting the first round of post-season action at home at Al Reaves field and winning. The team lost in the second round.

During that year, Reaves spent the season short a defensive line coach, Calvin Johnson, who had worked with the team for three years.

Johnson found employment in the Atlanta area after not being able to obtain a full-time position with the school system.

More cuts to the coaching staff and the football program would follow in the next year.

Former Athletic Director Neal Dabbs retired from the school system and took a job with the Jones County school system at the end of the 2010-2011 school year.

The War Eagles graduated a number of key players in 2011-2012, including All-State running back Marteze Waller, four-year quarterback Nick Burke, offensive lineman Tyree Clemons and receivers Charleston Reid and Carl Buckner.

In 2012, the War Eagles finished 3-7 overall, not making the play-offs for the first time in four years. Reaves said his team was young, and the program had to go through a rebuilding process as a large number of underclassman tried to fill the shoes of skilled players.

His said he expected to see a rebound within a two-year period.

Middle school players like Robert Johnson Jr., Stephan Waller and quarterback Jack Dixon are expected to give the program another boost within that period, coaches have said.

#64 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:26 AM

http://blogs.ajc.com...-coach-crowder/

Creekview hires former Chattahoochee coach Crowder

9:21 am February 8, 2013, by Todd Holcomb

Terry Crowder, who led Chattahoochee’s football team to a state championship in 2010, is the new head coach at Creekview in Cherokee County.

Crowder was 60-40 in nine seasons at Chattahoochee. The Cougars were 7-4 last season playing in Region 6-AAAAAA. Crowder came to Chattahoochee in 2004 from Camden County, where he was an assistant on Camden’s 2003 Class AAAAA championship team.

Chattahoochee’s 2010 team was 15-0 and led by all-classification state player of the year  quarterback  Tim Byerly.

Crowder will replace Al Morrell, who retired after 31 seasons as a high school coach. Under Morrell, who started the Creekview program in 2006, Creekview had only one losing season and was 9-2 in 2012 playing in Region 7-AAAAA.

#65 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:29 AM

Football Scoop reports that Berrien has named Ed Pilcher as head coach.

#66 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:12 PM

http://mbd.scout.com...2728&t=11239246

Terence Hennessy has been named head coach at Edmund Burke Academy.

#67 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:16 PM

http://laniercountya...ff-98d9bf41c54a

Lanier County has named Phillip Johnson as head football coach

#68 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:21 PM

(Neighbor Newspapers link is broken)

North Springs has named Steve Horton as head coach.

#69 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:27 PM

http://www.ledger-en...-ad-morgan.html

Northside High football: AD Morgan Ingram takes over as head coach

Northside High athletic director Morgan Ingram took over as head coach of the school's football team on Monday less than a month after Paul Cates stepped down from the position.

Cates, who resigned for personal reasons in mid-December citing personal reasons after five seasons at the helm, will continue to teach at Northside and will remain on the football staff in an unspecified capacity.

Ingram, who will retain his post as athletic director in addition to his coaching duties, said that there were ongoing discussions over the past few weeks about how to approach the coaching vacancy, but that it was ultimately decided that the best course of action was for him to take over the program.

"We had a lot of discussions," Ingram said. "It was just decided that, because of my experience in the county, I would go ahead and take over."

Ingram spent time as an assistant with Cates at Columbus High and two seasons as a head coach at Hardaway in 2006-07. In two seasons, he compiled a 10-10 record before joining Cates at Northside as athletic director.

The new coach said that he met with the team on Monday, when it also conducted its first offseason workout.

Most of the players are familiar with Ingram because of the work he's done with the football team over his five years at the school, so the transition won't be too dramatic. He added, however, that all coaches have different methods, indicating that certain things would change under him.

"Although, we have a lot of the same ideas and methods, we do have some things that are different," he said of himself and Cates.

He noted the team's physicality as a main area of focus going forward.

"We're going to work on becoming more physical and hard-nosed," he said. "The weight room is going to take a real precedence. It all starts there. The weight room breeds confidence and, through confidence, hopefully we can improve our overall morale.

"Hopefully a new voice can create some motivation and we can develop some football players."

Ingram said he's excited to be back in a larger role with a football team as well as the opportunity to help the team improve its standing in a difficult region.

"We're in a tough region," he said. "That's not an excuse. It's an opportunity. We have to do better. That's my goal."

Northside finished 2-7-1 in 2012. Overall, Cates was 19-31-1 in five seasons as the Patriots coach, including a lone trip to the state playoffs in 2009.

#70 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:27 PM

Southwest DeKalb’s Godfrey to retire

1:54 pm February 11, 2013, by Prep Zone

By Score Atlanta

After 30 seasons and 273 wins, Southwest DeKalb’s Buck Godrey will step down as head coach of the Panthers program. According to Georgia Public Broadcasting’s Gil Tyree, Godfrey made the announcement at the Panthers’ award banquet, ending a tenure that began with a 10-3-1 season in 1983. Godfrey took seven teams to at least the semifinals and went 1-1 in state championship games. His 1995 squad defeated Parkview 14-7 to give the Panthers their first state crown since 1972.

Last year, the Panthers went 7-4, falling to Kell in the first round of the postseason. Godfrey never had a losing record in his 30 seasons at Southwest DeKalb and missed the postseason just three times. He sits in 16th place all-time in wins according to the Georgia High School Football Historians Association. A replacement has not been named and attempts to reach Godfrey Sunday night were unsuccessful.

#71 BobbyHodges

BobbyHodges

Football Sage

• Members.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:02 PM

http://ghsfha.com/fo...40-glenn-hills/

Glenn Hills

#72 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:27 PM

http://chronicle.aug...ns?v=1360277624

Glenn Hills football coach Young resigns, replaced by Tim McClain.

#73 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

http://www.gwinnettp...st-jackson-job/

Andrews leaving Grayson for East Jackson job

By                                                              Brandon Brigman                                                                 (1392)        
brandon.brigman@gwinnettdailypost.com

One of the key members to the Grayson football program's rise to prominence is leaving.

#Defensive coordinator Robert Andrews has accepted the head coaching job at East Jackson, which was approved on Monday.

#"I've always desired to be a head coach," Andrews said. "East Jackson presented a great family atmosphere. It's a young school and has a lot of potential to grow."

#Andrews came to Grayson in 2005 after previously serving as an assistant at Wesleyan. In his eight years with the Rams, he built the defense into a state power. Grayson posted 26 shutouts, including a 24-0 victory over Walton in the 2011 Class AAAAA state finals.

#"The people make the place," Andrews said. "Coach (Mickey) Conn and I had a great relationship. The kids are great. I will miss that."

#Grayson posted a record of 80-23 while Andrews was the school, which included four region titles in five years and a state quarterfinals appearance in five of the last six seasons.

#"Robert has been a big part of it," Grayson head coach Mickey Conn said. "I'm really excited for him to have the opportunity."

#This season, Grayson's defense went four straight games without allowing a point. The Rams allowed just 10.1 points per game and surrendered just 441 yards rushing in 12 games.

#The 2011 state championship team allowed just 8.7 points a game and gave up 570 yards rushing all season.

#"I have great memories of different games and accomplishments as a team and a program," Andrews said.

#East Jackson plays in Region 8-AAA and went 0-10 last season. The sixth-year program has had just one winning season and that was in 2009, when it went 10-2 and reached the second round of the state playoffs.

#"I think there's a lot of potential there," Andrews said. "There's a great group of kids there."

#Defensive line coach Lenny Gregory will be the Rams' new defensive coordinator.

#Andrews is the second Grayson assistant in three years to take a head coaching job. Offensive line coach O.J. Soto took the head coaching job at Walnut Grove in 2011.

#"I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at Grayson with the coaches and the administration, but I'm awfully excited about taking the next step in my career," Andrews said.

#74 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

http://timesenterpri...named-THS-coach

February 12, 2013

Ryals named THS coach

CNHIThe Times EnterpriseTue Feb 12, 2013, 01:09 PM EST

The Thomasville City Board of Education voted 7-0 in a 12:30 p.m. meeting to hire Leroy Ryals of Clarke Central as Thomasville's football coach. Details to follow.

#75 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:08 PM

Pilcher takes job at long-suffering Berrien

12:43 pm February 13, 2013, by Todd Holcomb

Ed Pilcher, who resigned at Bainbridge last month after saying he wasn’t satisfied with the progress he had made in five seasons with the program, was approved as the new head coach at long-suffering Berrien on Tuesday, according to the Tifton Gazette.

Pilcher won five state titles at Thomas County Central in the 1990s and is 241-94-1 overall in 27 seasons as a head coach. He also led Early County to a pair of semifinal runs in 1988 and 1990.

Pilcher took the Bainbridge job in 2007 after leading Thomas Central to the Class AAAA semifinals in his last season in Thomasville. Bainbridge made the playoffs three times under Pilcher but never advanced and was 30-23 in his five seasons.

Berrien, a Class AA school, is one of the toughest places to win in south Georgia. The county borders football-crazy Lowndes, Tift, Cook and Coffee counties, but the Rebels last had a winning season in 1995 (5-4-1). They’ve never won more than eight games in a season since the school opened in 1954.

#76 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:24 PM

Georgia Prep Country lists Mount Vernon Presbyterian as open.

http://www.ga.prepco...m=9000&w=1&v=28

#77 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:30 PM

Georgia Prep Country lists North Cobb Christian as open.

#78 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:31 PM

Georgia Prep Country lists Therrell as open.

#79 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

Football Scoop reports that Worth County has named Jason Tone as head coach.

#80 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:05 PM

http://savannahnow.c...dwell-institute

Walsh's contract not renewed at Bradwell Institute

Posted: February 14, 2013 - 7:18pm

Walsh’s contract

not renewed

The contract of Bradwell Institute football coach Jim Walsh Jr. was not renewed by the members of the Liberty County Board of Education on Tuesday night, according to board superintendent Dr. Judy Scherer.

Walsh had been the Tigers’ head coach for 19 seasons since 1994, accumulating a 113-89 record.

The last three seasons, Bradwell had a 6-24 mark, including 2-8 last season.

“(Members of the board) felt it was time for a change,” said Scherer by telephone Thursday afternoon.

Scherer said Liberty County coaches contracts must be renewed each year.

Walsh could not be reached for comment.

Walsh is the son of longtime Benedictine coach Jim Walsh Sr. Jim Walsh played for his father at Benedictine before earning a scholarship to the University of South Carolina.

Jim Walsh Jr. coached at Johnson High for six seasons. He had a 24-38 mark with the Atom Smashers before moving on to Bradwell.

#81 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:37 PM

http://onlineathens....self-head-coach

Clarke Central promotes defensive coordinator Ahren Self to head coach

#82 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:01 AM

Heritage-Conyers hires former Jackson coach Parris

11:12 pm February 15, 2013, by Todd Holcomb

Heritage of Conyers hired Mike Parris as its new football coach on Friday, the Rockdale Citizen reported.

Parris was 123-67 in 17 seasons at Jackson. He’s taken two schools to the semifinals – Jackson in 2000 and Forest Park in 1995.

Parris, a Stone Mountain graduate, succeeds Chad Frazier, who took the head coaching job at Villa Rica. Heritage made the playoffs each of the past three seasons under Frazier.

#83 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:55 PM

Herron to leave Camden County for Prince Avenue Christian

9:29 pm February 19, 2013, by Todd Holcomb

Jeff Herron, who led Camden County to three state championships and national prominence in Georgia’s highest classification, will be announced as the new head football coach at Class A private school Prince Avenue Christian in Bogart on Wednesday, sources have told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

The Oconee Democrat’s Daniel Matthews first reported the story Tuesday, also citing sources.

Herron, 52, won titles at Camden in 2003, 2008 and 2009 and was 158-18 in his 13 seasons in Kingsland on the Georgia coast.

Herron also led Oconee County to its only state title in 1999 and is one of 13 coaches in state history to lead two different schools to football state championships. No coach has won state titles at three schools.

Prince Avenue’s campus, originally in Athens, is located in Oconee County. Herron was coach of nearby Cedar Shoals in Athens from 1990 to 1993.

Prince Avenue was 11-3 in 2012 and lost in the Class A private championship game to Eagle’s Landing Christian. Prince Avenue started football in 2005. Former coach Mark Farriba resigned earlier this year to return to his alma mater, Stratford Academy in Macon.

Herron’s overall record is 242-45. A native of Virginia, Herron began coaching in Georgia at Paulding County and then McEachern as an assistant under best friend Jimmy Dorsey in the 1980s.

Herron did not return calls last weekend and Tuesday night to confirm.

#84 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:05 PM

http://ghsfha.com/fo...anges-for-2013/

Football: Galt hired as North head coach Former UGA QB spent six seasons at Dutchtown By John McWilliams

Jason Galt, who led Dutchtown High School to the Class 4A state quarterfinals in 2010, is the new head football coach at North Forsyth.

Galt replaces Blair Armstrong, who went 4-16 over the past two seasons with the Raiders. North has not made the playoffs since the 2010 season.

Galt has coached football and soccer for 17 years and spent the last six at Dutchtown.

While head coach of the Bulldogs, Galt compiled an overall record of 36-27 and boasted the top-ranked defense in Class 4A in 2010.

He will join North’s physical education department on March 1 to teach weight training.

"We’re going to work hard in the weight room," Galt said. "When you do that you not only become physically strong, but mentally strong. We’re going to be disciplined and put hard work in and we’re going to make sure we don’t beat ourselves.

"Everyone is going to be given a chance [to earn playing time]. I didn’t come here to lose."

Galt and his wife, Dr. Paige Galt, who currently teaches Spanish at East Coweta High School, have two children, Jackson Alexander and Georgia Ansley.

Galt said he liked Forsyth County and that it presented the best opportunity for his family.

He was a member of the 1992 national championship football team at (community college) San Bernardino Valley College (California) and was a quarterback on the University of Georgia football team in 1994.

Galt earned a bachelor’s degree in social science education from the University of Georgia, his master’s degree in special education from Jacksonville State University, and his specialist degree in curriculum and instruction from Nova Southeastern University.

"We had many outstanding applicants that were very worthy of being the head football coach at North Forsyth High School," Raiders athletic director Nathan Turner said in a statement from the school.

"We are thrilled to have Coach Galt as our new head coach and excited to have him lead our football team.

"He is a high-energy coach and hard worker who has the ability to relate and communicate with his players. He is known as a great motivator and has a strong vision for our football program. I am excited to see Coach Galt work with our players and build a solid football program."

North will host a meet and greet with Galt on Thursday at 6:30 p.m. in the school cafeteria.

#85 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:42 PM

http://www.ledger-en...ing-carver.html

Dell McGee leaving Carver High for position at Auburn University

Published: February 21, 2013 Updated 3 hours ago

By DAVID MITCHELL — dmitchell@ledger-enquirer

When Dell McGee took over as head coach at Carver High in 2005, he inherited a program that had not had a winning season in nine years. Eight seasons, 88 wins, six region championships and a state title later, McGee leaves the program as one of the elite in the state of Georgia.

McGee announced on Thursday that he is stepping down from his position at Carver and accepting a role on Auburn University football’s support staff. He will take up the position, which will be in an off-the-field capacity, on Monday after spending his last day as Carver’s athletic director at the boys basketball game on Saturday.

McGee said he was grateful for the opportunities he had at Carver as well as those that await him at Auburn.

“I’m very grateful for the years I spent at Carver,” McGee said. “And I’m grateful for the opportunity Coach Malzahn has given me here.”

Auburn has not officially announced the hire, and McGee's role within the staff is yet to be defined publicly.

Carver principal Christopher Lindsey said he recognized the difficulty in replacing a “legend” like McGee, but has already begun the process of searching for a new coach.

“Right now, the process has already started as far as me coming up with ideas of names of guys that can fill McGee’s shoes,” he said, adding that it will be his decision to make.

Lindsey said he will try to make the decision by the first week of May, but declined to offer any potential names at this time.

In eight years with the Tigers, McGee compiled an 88-19 record, including the Class AAA state championship in 2007. He also helped the team move its all-time record over .500 for the first time since 1971.

Carver went 3-7 in McGee’s first year at the school, but improved to 12-2 with a semifinals appearance in 2006, his second season, and 15-0 in 2007.

The program also produced elite athletes such as running back Isaiah Crowell and linebacker Jarvis Jones, who is expected to be a high selection in this year’s NFL draft.

“There was a big transformation there,” said DeRon Furr, who played at Carver under McGee from 2006-08 and is now a member of Fort Valley State. “I remember when I first got there. We had our first winning season in a minute. It was a big turnaround. He just made guys jell together.”Riyadh Jones, who graduated from Carver in 2011 and just signed to play at the University of Tennessee out of junior college, said McGee’s impact came in a lot of ways.

“It starts with him being a great person,” Jones said. “Also, he’s a great coach. He had a great staff and everything. He saw great things in us and he made us keep working hard. I’ll never forget that.”

D.J. Jones, former Tiger, Georgia Bulldog and current Bi-City radio personality, spoke of McGee’s ability to take Carver to the next level among the state’s elite.

“Dell took Carver to the next level,” he said. “Once he got his system in place, the program took off.

“I’ve had the opportunity to watch Dell come in as a young coach and see his maturity and growth. He called on former coaches, myself, other guys that were respected in the football community, and he was just a sponge. Watching him grow each and every season, it’s no surprise Auburn scooped him up. He took his team to the next level, and now he’s ready to go to the next level.”

Former players and colleagues also spoke highly of the impact McGee had on his student-athletes off the field as well.

Players who have moved on to the next level tell stories of receiving texts containing scriptures and devotionals on the day of games.

“Sometimes he’d even give you a call,” Riyadh Jones said. “Not all coaches do that. He’s always looking out for his guys.”

“A lot of guys didn’t have fathers period,” Furr said. “A lot of guys looked up to him as a father figure. He’d help the team bond as a family. It let’s me know he cares. There are people who have been in my life a lot longer than Coach has, and I’ve received more texts and calls from him. It means a lot.”

Lindsey and Muscogee County athletic director Gary Gibson spoke similarly of the impact McGee had on academics at the school, as well.

“What I saw is Coach McGee giving kids an avenue to higher education,” Gibson said. “He gave students the tools they needed to make that possible.”

“People don’t realize athletics and academics go hand in hand,” Lindsey said. “He came in with an attitude of discipline and that he wouldn’t put up with a lot. He made the kids work hard in everything they do.”

Current players Mekhi Brown and Tailik Quarterman both said they were sad to see McGee leave, but happy for the opportunity he has in front of him.

“You can’t stay in the same position forever,” said Brown, a high recruit for 2015. “I’m happy for him. Sad to see him go, though. He meant a lot to us.”

Quarterman added that McGee’s impact will continue even without the coach there in person.

“He made players like me learn how to step up and be leaders on and off the field,” he said in a message to the Ledger-Enquirer, adding in a post on Twitter that McGee named certain players leaders so that they could carry on the tradition going forward.

McGee has a history with Auburn, having played with the Tigers for four seasons, 1992-95, as a cornerback. He lettered all four years and was drafted in the fifth round of the 1996 NFL draft. He played briefly for the Arizona Cardinals in 1998.

David Mitchell, 706-571-8571; Follow David on Twitter @leprepsports

#86 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:58 PM

Southwest Georgia Academy is open.

#87 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:16 PM

http://www.macon.com...rylink=misearch

Tattnall Square hires Morgan as football coach

By Jonathan Heeter — jheeter@macon.com

Frederica’s Clint Morgan is expected to be announced as the new head football coach at Tattnall Square on Tuesday.

Morgan reportedly told his team Monday morning. Frederica sent out a release to friends and family of the school on Monday as well.

Tattnall released a statement late Monday night confirming the hire.

“Coach Morgan is dedicated to the success of his athletes both on the field and in the classroom," Tattnall Square athletics direcotr Todd Whetsel said in the release. "I am confident that Coach Morgan’s experience, organizational skills, discipline and passion will help us accomplish our athletic goals."

Morgan led Frederica to the GISA Class A championship in 2012 in the program's first season of varsity football. The Knights (11-2) beat Robert Toombs 34-30 in the championship game in December. The Knights’ only losses came to Memorial Day and Pinewood Christian, both schools from larger classifications.

Prior to his arrival at Frederica, Morgan spent seven years as the head coach at Bulloch Academy. His teams never had a losing season. The Gators played in the semifinals in 2005 and 2008, losing to Flint River Academy both times. Morgan began his head coaching career at David Emanuel Academy, and he led David Emanuel to the semifinals in 1997. He is 86-47-1 in his career as a head coach.

“(Monday) marks the beginning of a new era in TSA football, and I am pleased to have Clint Morgan join the TSA family as the new leader of our football team," Tattnall head of school Brenda Shuman-Riley said. "I look forward to what lies ahead for TSA football with coach Morgan as the head coach, as well as the excitement he will bring to both TSA’s students and fans.”

Morgan replaces Barney Hester, who took the head coaching job at Howard.

Hester won 305 games and 10 GISA Class AAA championships in 31 years at Tattnall.

#88 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:21 PM

Football Scoop reports that St. Andrews coach Brock Miller has resigned.

#89 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:37 PM

http://www.southeast...0308&Itemid=118

New Head Dawg at Toombs Co High School                                    

Wednesday, 27 February 2013                

February 27---In a called meeting Wednesday morning, the Toombs County Board of Education named Dublin assistant coach Steve Versprille as the new Head Football Coach at Toombs County High School.

Versprille has spent the last 6 years in Dublin as the Assistant head coach coaching linebackers and becomes the 5th head coach in Toombs County history. He replaces Shane Williamson who left after five years to take the head coaching job at Forsyth Central.

Versprille%5B1%5D.jpgVersprille played football at the University of Alabama and says he's excited to be the new head coach at Toombs. He plans to be on the job in early April so he can conduct Spring football practice. Versprille says the next few weeks will be spent getting his staff together and meeting with players to let them know the direction he wants to take the program.

A native of Norfolk VA Versprille has been an assistant coach for 18 years and he and his wife Kristy have two children Baily and Bryant.

#90 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:40 PM

http://www.daily-tri...ce=main_article

Jim Kremer resigns as head football coach at Adairsville
by Andrew AdlerThe Daily Tribune News
2 days 15 hrs ago | 1575 views | 0 comments-icon.gif | 7 thumbs-up-icon.gif | email-this.gif | print_icon.gif

Calling it the hardest thing a coach could ever do, Jim Kremer stood in front of his players around lunchtime Monday and shared with them what his future plans would be.

Part of those future plans included their coach’s decision to effectively resign the position of head football coach of the Adairsville Tigers after a four-year tenure that included two state playoff appearances.

“One of things I will miss most is the great relationships that have developed between myself and with our football players over the years,” Kremer said. “I’d like to think I am leaving a football program that has vastly improved during my time here. I only wish the best for Adairsville from here on out.”

Prior to talking to his players, Kremer informed Bruce Melkey, the school’s principal, and Meredith Barnhill, the school’s athletic director, of his decision Monday morning.

The 51-year-old Kremer was formally introduced as Adairsville’s new head coach prior to the start of the 2009 football season.

During his four years at Adairsville, the Tigers compiled a 27-16 record. Last year, the Tigers finished the season as the No. 2 seed in Region 5-AAA behind the Cartersville Purple Hurricanes with a 7-3 regular season record. The Tigers lost in the first round of the state Class AAA state playoffs to Hart County. Adairsville won five of its last six games to earn the No. 2 seed and host a state playoff game.

Kremer’s best year was the 2011 season, when the Tigers went 10-2 overall and lost in the second round of the Class AA state playoffs while playing in Region 7A-AA.

The Tigers were 5-5 overall during the 2010 and 2009 seasons.

Read more: The Daily Tribune News - Jim Kremer resigns as head football coach at Adairsville

#91 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:44 PM

http://www.jacksonpr...football-coach/

Jackson High names new head football coach Pick for top job chosen from current staff

By                                                              Michael Davis                                                                 (734)     

Jackson High School’s defensive line coach, Dary Myricks, has been picked as the Red Devils’ next head coach, school officials announced Wednesday.

#Myricks is a 1995 graduate of Jackson High and currently works as a counselor at the school. He is also the associate athletic director.

#In a statement released Wednesday by school officials, Principal Jay Homan said he will appoint Myricks to lead the Red Devils in their 2013 campaign, after having interviewed nine candidates for the job.

JPA_COACH_MYRICKS_t180.jpg?370a03faaa4bd

Special/// This photo from Butts County Schools' Facebook page shows Dary Myricks, a counselor at Jackson High School who on Wednesday, Feb. 27 was named the Red Devils' new head football coach.

#“We are very excited about the new direction of our football program at Jackson High School,” Homan said. “Coach Myricks’ interpersonal skills and overall disposition have allowed him to develop productive working relationships with students, parents, and the Jackson community. I have been consistently impressed by both his football experience and his commitment to our students. We look forward to the leadership that he will provide for the Red Devils football program.”

#Myricks will take over following the January resignation of Mike Parris, who spent 17 seasons at the helm of the Red Devils and is the winningest and longest tenured football coach in school history.

#Parris was announced earlier this month as the new head coach at Heritage High School in Rockdale County.

#School officials said Myricks was picked for the job out of a pool of 80 applicants, nine of which were picked by a committee to be interviewed. The committee was made up of Homan, Athletic Director Josh Lowe and Executive Director of Operations Shannon Christian.

#After graduating from Jackson High, Myricks played football on scholarship for The Citadel. After graduating with a business degree in 1999, he signed with the Jacksonville Jaguars but was released before the start of the season, according to a bio on Jackson High’s web site.

#He later played professionally for several years in the Arena Football League.

#Myricks first came back to Jackson High School as a graduation coach, and later was certified as a counselor.

#“My only directive to the [selection] committee was to find the candidate who was best for our boys and the best fit for our community,” Superintendent Robert “Buddy” Costley said in a statement. “Ultimately, Mr. Homan and the committee members told me that our answer was working right here in our own backyard. Our current coaching staff is more than capable of taking us to the next level. We are going to stand behind these men because they have stood behind our boys all these years. We are now counting on the community to come together as one family and support our Red Devil and Tiger athletes, coaches, and program.”

#Costley said it remained undetermined whether Myricks would remain in the role of associate athletic director.

#Officials plan a community reception to welcome Myricks as the head coach some time in March. The date and location have not yet been announced.

#92 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

M.L. King hires Cortez Allen of Newton as head football coach

3:29 pm February 28, 2013, by Todd Holcomb

M.L. King will introduce Cortez Allen as its head football coach Thursday at 6 p.m., Allen confirmed to AJC.com.

Allen, the head coach at Newton the past three seasons, was on staff at M.L. King for its first three seasons of football from 2002 to 2004. M.L. King was 3-7, 11-2 and 11-3 in those seasons, quickly becoming a state power under head coach Kenny Barrow.

‘’It’s definitely an honor being able to return,’’ Allen said. “I helped start the program, and I’m really excited on going back. The guys that followed the staff I was on have done a tremendous job. The program has grown and prospered.’’

M.L. King suspended coach Michael Carson before the 2012 season, and he later resigned. Rober Freeman took over and led M.L. King to an 11-1 finish and its third straight region championship.

Since Carson arrived in 2010, M.L. King has been known for its passing offenses under quarterbacks Jonquell Dawson and Monqauvious Johnson.

Allen said that he would maintain aspects of the spread offense but planned to have a multiple I-formation team. Allen will bring three coaches from Newton. One is offensive Camiel Grant, also the offensive coordinator on M.L. King’s 2004 semifinal team.

‘’We’re going to try to bring a little more balance on offense with the run game,’’ Allen said. “We’ll still run some fun and gun and get it out there to those excellent athletes that we have, but we also want to be able to push the ball on through with the run game.’’

Also joining Allen from Newton will be defensive coordinator Spencer Fortson and defensive line coach Melvin Richey. Allen said he would like to maintain much of the 2012 staff that was interested in remaining.

Allen, a DeKalb County native, was 17-14 in three seasons at Newton. That’s the most wins for the school over a three-year stretch with one coach since 1993-95. Allen also was Newton’s track and field coach. His relay teams won state championships in the 400 meters in 2010 and 2011.

Allen played on Southwest DeKalb’s state championship team in 1995 and for Florida A&M for two seasons before graduating from the University of Georgia.

- See more at: http://blogs.ajc.com...h.2nbyJB5o.dpuf

#93 tazbanks

tazbanks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:19 AM

http://www.gwinnettp...-jones-as-head/

Tommy Jones at Dacula

#94 tazbanks

tazbanks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:21 AM

http://www.gwinnettp...football-coach/

Jason Conner at Duluth High

#95 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:29 PM

Chattahoochee hires Brookwood assistant Owens

2:16 pm March 1, 2013, by Todd Holcomb

Brookwood assistant Michael Owens was named the head coach at Chattahoochee on Friday.

Owens will replace Terry Crowder, who took the head coaching job at Creekview in Cherokee County last month.

‘’I really can’t describe how excited I am to be part of a program and school that’s always been successful,’’ Owens said. “There’s nothing broken at Chattahoochee. That’s not why Terry made decision he made. I just hope to continue to build on to what Terry has done.’’

Chattahoochee won the Class AAAA championship in 2010, the same year that Brookwood team won the AAAAA title. Chattahoochee was 7-4 last season playing in Region 7-AAAAAA.

Owens has assisted at Brookwood since 2005 and was part of 2006 state runner-up and 2010 state championship teams. Brookwood doesn’t grant official titles to its assistants, but Owens was integral in developing Brookwood’s defenses for much of his time with the Broncos, although he helped out on the offensive side the past two years.

Brookwood’s teams are known for the run game and defense. Owens said his offensive and defensive schemes would depend on the personnel from year to year.

‘’Football is still won and lost on the line of scrimmage,’’ Owens said. “We saw that in the Super Bowl. A strong defense is what you need. My preference is a pro style multiple offense which gives you chance to run and pass because in high school you can’t recruit your players. You accommodate the players you have.’’

Four of Crowder’s assistant coaches, including both coordinators, also left for Creekview, so Owens will have some holes to fill.

Prior to coming to Brookwood, Owens was head coach at Peachtree Ridge for its first two seasons, 2003 and 2004. He has been an assistant at McEachern (1991, 1994-2002) and Presbyterian College (1992-93).

A native of South Carolina and former player at Presbyterian, Owens was hired out of college at Peachtree, whose coach was Dave Hunter, who later would build Brookwood into a state power before turning the program over to Mark Crews. Owens left coaching for seven years to work in business before returning at McEachern in 1991.

Owens is the second prominent assistant from Gwinnett County to take a head coaching position this off-season. Robert Andrews of Grayson was hired at East Jackson last month.

- See more at: http://blogs.ajc.com...h.UehrCafy.dpuf

#96 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

http://mdjonline.com...nce=home_sports

Youngblood the pick for South Cobb
by John Bednarowski
sportseditor@mdjonline.com
The Marietta Daily Journal
March 02, 2013 01:24 AM | 638 views | 0 comments-icon.gif | 3 thumbs-up-icon.gif | email-this.gif | print_icon.gif

Michael Youngblood, a two-time national champion as a linebacker at Georgia Southern, was named the new football coach at South Cobb on Friday.

Youngblood comes to South Cobb after three years as the defensive coordinator at Burke County High School in Waynesboro, his alma mater. The Bears reached the Class AAAA state quarterfinals in 2012 and claimed the 2011 Class AAA state championship.

He was also on the staff at Tucker when it won the Class AAAA title in 2008.

During his nine years as a coach, the teams Youngblood has coached went a combined 86-24.

“I’ve just been blessed to be in the right place at the right time,” he said.

Now, he wants to make South Cobb the right place.

Youngblood replaces former coach Ed Koester, who resigned in January to spend more time with family and move closer to his Cherokee County home.

“When I applied for the job, I looked at a lot of different things,” the 33-year-old Youngblood said. “South Cobb has always had athletes. And coach Koester has done a great job of getting the program where it needs to be. I just want to come in here and build on that success and hopefully get them over the hump (to winning region championships and playoff games).”

Youngblood also said he is excited to be a coach in Region 4AAAAAA.

“One of the things I am looking forward to is the intensity,” said Youngblood, who said he expects South Cobb to run a 3-3-5 defensive scheme and a power-spread offense similar to what Burke County has employed in recent years. “Every week, you know you are going to play a team that is capable of winning a lot of football games.”

Terry Crowder is well aware of what Youngblood can do. Crowder was an assistant coach at Burke County when Youngblood played there, and helped him get his first coaching job at his alma mater in 2004.

Crowder became the head coach at Chattahoochee and brought Youngblood in as his defensive coordinator in 2006.

“He is the smartest player I have ever coached,” said Crowder, who recently became the head coach at Creekview High School in Canton. “And he has the best feel for a game that I’ve been around.”

This will be Youngblood’s second head-coaching job. He spent one season at Dunwoody in 2009, leading the Wildcats to a 7-5 record and the second round of the Class AAA state playoffs.

Youngblood said if there was one thing he learned in his one season at Dunwoody, that it would be to communicate well with everyone — parents, players, the administration and his coaching staff.

“I’m just excited to be a head coach again,” Youngblood said. “I want to bring a good product to the field. I just love the competition.”

Communication is one of the factors, South Cobb athletic director Chuck Stines said, that set Youngblood apart from the other 62 coaches that applied for the position.

“Everybody we talked to had good things to say about him,” Stines said. “Sometimes you hear good things, but that doesn’t come across when you sit down for the interview. With (Youngblood), those things just came through when you talked to him.

“And just look at the programs he’s been in. Everywhere he’s been, they’ve been successful.”

Youngblood graduated from Georgia Southern with a degree in sports management and minor in business. On the field, he was a second-team all-Southern Conference selection in 2001, and was part of national championship teams in 1999 and 2000 under Paul Johnson.

He later went back to school and received a master’s degree in foundations of education from Troy University in 2006.

Youngblood comes to South Cobb certified to teach three subjects — math, special education and physical education. It will aid him in school, and with his ability to put together a coaching staff.

“I’ve tried to make myself more marketable,” said Youngblood, who has three daughters with his wife, Rasmiyyah — 11-year-old Kaylah, 8-year-old Myleah and 6-year-old Rikayah. “I am trying to make myself more flexible. You are only as good as your assistants, so, if I can bring in someone that teaches math, I can slide over and take something in physical education (if the teaching spots are available).”

Youngblood said details about his start date at South Cobb are still being worked out. He currently is a math teacher at Burke County, and he may have to complete the school year there before he can come to Austell full time.

However, that doesn’t mean he won’t have a presence with his new team.

“Right now, the coaches have the guys in the weight room, and I need them to continue to run things,” Youngblood said. “We’re going to have spring practice, and I’ll be going back and forth, and then I’ll transfer in at the end of the year.”                

Read more: The Marietta Daily Journal - Youngblood the pick for South Cobb

#97 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:13 PM

Football Scoop reports Mike Rozier has resigned from Lakeside (Atlanta).

#98 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:25 PM

Former Duluth, MLK football coach Jarvis ‘going back home’ to Mays

11:10 am March 4, 2013, by Todd Holcomb

New Mays head football coach Corey Jarvis says leaving Duluth was a family decision. The coach, best known for his time at M.L. King, already begun work at the Atlanta school and is busy hiring a staff.

‘’It’s closer to home for me,’’ said Jarvis, a graduate of old Harper High in Atlanta. “I’m closer to mom, closer to my house. I know the area well, so it’s like me going back home to be honest. I just had to make a sacrifice for my family time-wise.’’

Duluth was 4-6 in each of Jarvis’ three seasons playing in Region 7-AAAAAA. Duluth’s record was 2-28 over the previous three seasons.

Jarvis’ region doesn’t get much easier at Mays, which was 5-5 last season in 6-AAAAA. It is the region that features Stephenson, Tucker, Southwest DeKalb and Jarvis’ previous employer M.L. King. King was 49-11 in Jarvis’ five seasons (2005-2009) and won five playoff games.

Mays hasn’t won a playoff game since 2007 despite a 35-18 record over the past five years. Asked what it would take for Mays to get to the next level, Jarvis said simply, “Weight room and discipline, the same things we did at King.’’

Jarvis also said that he planned to run a multiple offense that would ‘’throw the ball around.’’ He said his defense would be a traditional 4-3. He was hopeful he could hire four or five of his Duluth and M.L. King coaches, including coordinators Kerry Hood (offense) and Lee Hanna (defense). Hannah has interviews for head coaching jobs, Jarvis said.

#99 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:15 PM

Georgia Prep Country lists Banneker as open.

#100 OceanTiger

OceanTiger

Football Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:07 PM

Georgia Prep Country lists North Clayton as open.